FACULTY AND POSTGRADUATE RESEARCH
The University is working effectively to create an environment of high quality research:
- In the area of national needs among the community of academic staff and postgraduate students/doctoral candidates
- By creating a pool of supervisors with the necessary skills and knowledge to facilitate the successful completion of postgraduate research, and
- By providing the enough facilities and equipment necessary, under the limited resources, for the successful completion of research studies of faculty members and postgraduate students.
Such a research community may be achieved by collaboration between related research units within the University (whether within a single Faculty or across two or more Faculties) or between departments in the University and cognate faculty in partner universities/institutions.
Registration of Research Studies:
- All the studies conducted by the university faculty members, postgraduate or undergraduate students must be registered at Research Department of JSMU.
- The registration of the studies will help to follow up the studies and avoiding any duplication of the studies in the institution.
Procedure of Approval of the Research Project by University Committees:
- All the studies must be approved by the Institutional Review Board (IRB) of Jinnah Sindh Medical University (JSMU),
- If the study is belonging conducted for a postgraduate degree then the synopsis of the study must also be approved by the Board of Advanced Studies and Research (BASR) of JSMU,
Research Supporting Fund:
- JSMU has established a research support fund for postgraduate students and faculty members of JSMU.
- If a postgraduate student or faculty member request for the fund then the synopsis/protocol must be review by two subject experts and Grant Committee of JSMU should review the application in light of reviewers’ recommendations.
- As it is approved by the JSMU syndicate that the research fund is available only for laboratory/clinical tests or laboratory assistance honorariums. The maximum limit for the approval is up to PRs 100,000/-.
- If funding is being requested from other funding agencies then the application form with other materials must be submitted to Research Department for review for at least one month before. Research Department will review the application from and will get the signature from the competent authority. No one will approach to Vice Chancellor directly for his approval and signature.
- If the article being submitted is prepared from the postgraduate thesis then the student should be the principal (first) author [1,2].
- The subsequent authors could be the supervisor, co-supervisor and any expert who has contributed significantly in the thesis work. The authorship criteria have been defined clearly in Uniform Requirements for Biomedical Journals of International Committee of Medical Journals Editors (ICMJE).