- Jinnah Sindh Medical University (JSMU) is committed to modernizing medical education in Pakistan. Established on June 1, 2012, JSMU started with the reputable Sindh Medical College (SMC) as its first constituent. The University began expanding its repertoire almost immediately as the infrastructure and offices of of admissions, examination, administration, finance and others were set up and soon the Institute of Pharmaceutical Science was established. This was followed by APPNA Institute of Public Health, Institute of Health and Business Management and Social Sciences, Sindh Institute of Oral Health Sciences, and Institutes of Nursing, Family Medicine, Medical Education, Physical Rehabilitation, Medical Technology, ad Reproductive and Genetic Health.
- The total number of institutes under the university is eleven at the moment. The number of affiliated colleges and programmes is around 20 and the enrolment figures of medical and allied health sciences students exceeds 6000, making it the largest medical university in Sindh.
- JSMU is distinguished by the quality of its individuals and their commitment to modernizing and updating its curricula and facilities. Highly seasoned faculty and staff run its constituent medical college and institutes. University students receive clinical training in prestigious national institutions like the Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre (JPMC), National Institute of Child Health (NICH), and National Institute of Cardiovascular Diseases (NICVD).
- JSMU is working towards the vision of a modern university at par with international standards by emphasizing e-learning and developing technology-based teaching and learning initiatives. It is the first public sector medical university to administer computer-based semester and final examination to all its enrolled students.
- The University offers e-learning courses with currently 166 courses online for its students in affiliated colleges and has trained 110 faculty members in creating e-learning material. It was also the first public sector university in Pakistan to provide free wi-fi facility to students and faculty.
- JSMU is also a proud part of Pakistan Education and Research Network (PERN2). This project facilitates teachers and students to access Internet, digital library with thousands of free eBooks and journals, plagiarism detection software Turnitin, and Video Conferencing facility.
- The 187 mbps internet bandwidth on CIR is used for digital library access, audio/video communication, high definition streaming, server hosting, website applications/ portals, heavy duty download services and other services that rely on high speed internet. A dedicated state-of-the-art video conferencing facility is available where interactive video lectures and meetings can be conducted among multiple remote locations.
- JSMU also has access to the digital library of the Higher Education Commission, which provides thousands of free e-books and journals for students and faculty with wide range of disciplines for research and education purpose. This digital library can be accessed from the computer labs and on portable devices through Wi-Fi facility in the university.
- Biometric and face recognition attendance system is in place for the students and the University Staff. This system provides a transparent way to mark the attendance with a comprehensive reporting system.
VISION OF JSMU
- “To be a socially accountable nationally benchmarked institution aspiring to improve health through education, leadership, scholarship and community service.”
To develop integrated programs and impart training for quality education, discipline and character building for potential graduates and postgraduate in medical and allied sciences, who would be committed to professional excellence based on community and research orientation and having ever evolving contemporary knowledge and technical advancement in health sciences.
- Lifelong learning
- 1. Sindh Medical College
- 2. Sindh Institute of Oral Health Sciences
- 3. APPNA Institute of Public Health
- 4. Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences
- 5. Institute of Health & Business Management and Social Sciences
- 6. Institute of Nursing
- 7. Institute of Physiotherapy and Rehabilitation
- 8. Institute of Family Medicine