SMART UNIVERSITY PROJECT
- Information Technology Department of the Jinnah Sindh Medical University in collaboration with Higher Education Commission has implemented Smart University Project. This Smart University Project is providing the most advanced Wi-Fi broadband Internet access throughout the campus to the student and faculty of the JSMU. The student and faculty can also access digital library contents from their Laptops and Smart Phones. The Jinnah Sindh Medical University has become the first public sector medical University of Pakistan which is providing this facility to their students and faculty free of cost.
- Total four Digital Libraries are established which consists of more than 200 computers where students and faculty can access free of cost more than 45000 E-Books and 25000 International Research Journals.
VIDEO CONFERENCE FACILITY
- Information Technology Department of the Jinnah Sindh Medical University in collaboration with Higher Education Commission has established state of the art Video Conferencing facility which can accommodate 45 participants. This video conference facility is capable of conducting interactive video conferences with multiple locations anywhere in the World. The purpose of this facility is to conduct meetings and online interactive lectures among the national and International Universities.
- At present Information Technology department of Jinnah Sindh Medical University is providing internet facility to all the department and institutes of JSMU. This internet facility is also available in the digital library of JSMU where students and teaching faculty can avail this facility.
- Information Technology department of JSMU is providing email services for all the teaching faculty and staff of university for official correspondence / use. This email facility provides 30 GB of storage space for email and other value added services like cloud storage.
OFFICIAL WEBSITE OF JSMU
- Information Technology Department has developed official website of Jinnah Sindh Medical University. This website regularly updates University news and academic announcements. Useful lecture outline, Time Table and relevant topics material is regularly uploaded on University Website for the ease of students.
- Information Technology Department of JSMU developing all the softwares in-house. I.T Department has developed a number of softwares for different departments so that routine work of different departments can be done in more efficient and effective manner. The following software are developed by the software team of I.T Department:
- Payroll Management System
- I.T Complain Tracking System
- Online Examination System
- Store Management System
- Online Application Tracking System
- Information Technology department of JSMU has developed the online examination system. The software is initially deployed in Digital Library for conducting online tests / quiz for students of university. The software is already developed and tested by JSMU. The pilot project will be launched from 1st Janauary 2015 initially with 161 computers and it is planned that after successful completion of this pilot project, this number (161) will be increased to 400.
ONLINE APPNA MERIT LECTURES
- With limited I.T infrastructure at JSMU, I.T department has managed to arrange online lectures from USA on every Monday at 8:30 A.M PST.
COMPUTER SHORT COURSES
- I.T department of JSMU offers Computer short courses for students and staff members of JSMU . The motive of this program is to train staff and students in order to adopt automation. For this purpose I.T department conducts different short courses according to requirement and necessity.
SOFTWARE & HARDWARE SUPPORT
- I.T department of JSMU is providing in-house troubleshooting and repairing of hardware. Apart from that we also provide operating system troubleshooting and installation. The support team is always there for software and hardware troubleshooting & repairing without any delay.
INTERNET CONTENT FILTERING
- Inappropriate surfing habits can expose a network to many security threats, as well as legal and regulatory liabilities. Productivity and Internet bandwidth can also be impaired. It has been observed that many users sometimes misuse the internet therefore it become very essential to impose restriction on illegal websites. Usually this is done by the hardware based firewall which is very costly but I.T Department has managed to configure software based firewall which is free of cost.